Sunday, January 10, 2010

Woongjin's "Morning Rice"


After careful consideration of the aisles of the local Asian supermarket, what was claimed to be "Apple Sidar" was quickly snapped up as the least possibly noxious drink available (despite being a murky off-white). The drinker was given some solace in that the only English to greet the hapless purchaser is a claim to a US Patent. Surely if patentable it can't kill someone... at least it's "novel".

However, upon breaking open the seal, the drinkers were met with a number of interesting surprises:

1. the drink did not smell like apples... nor did it smell like anything for that matter; and
2. the drink tasted like toasted popcorn.

After careful examination of the receipt (issued by the lovely Eileen) your thoughtful reviewer noted that he had indeed purchased "Korean Rice Rice Drink".

Somehow those crafty folk at Woongjin have managed to liquefy popcorn, stuff it into a pet bottle and baffle store owners by calling it apples.

Once one leaps the mental hurdle of the lack of crunch in your corn, despite being nothing like it claimed to be, it was an unusually pleasant but strange beverage.

"Morning Rice" is neither something I would really enjoy in the morning, nor is it loaded with explosive rice flavour. However if I was going to watch a long movie and needed to combine my beverage and pop-corn requirements into one handy "slam it down fast" package.. this is your product!

Woongjin have laid out in colourful English the laurels of its product here:
http://www.wjfood.com/beverage/morningrice.asp

Would I drink this again: Yes
Would I recommend it to people I like: sure, give it a go
Would I put it in a pot with melted butter: no

11 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what is wrong with your mouth, but this stuff does not taste like popcorn. It has a faint rice flavour and a sweet milk flavour. It goes well with most things because the drink is light enough to not interfere with other flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to agree. It does not taste like popcorn. It's a milky ricey flavor which isn't too heavy. I love it and bought numerous bottles at my Asian grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments.

    The Drinks Master had an independent taste tester on hand during this interview who confirmed the pop-corn like taste. However, as this brew didn't send anyone blind it would be a pleasure to re-review and update if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just drank this just now and my first impression of it was that it tasted like coffee. Ironic eh since it's white? :P anyways, it was pretty delicious and i'd love to buy more and drink it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what... its tastes like the last dregs of your cereal in the morning in every sip. Sooo good

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this product at the Korean food fair and it looks delicious. Does anyone know whether it contain any alcohol in it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I find this drink , I've been looking for it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it taste vaguely of coffee, but without the bitterness I despise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does taste like popcorn faintly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First I was shocked to see if rice can be that healthier. But the article totally amazed me. And the drink is healthy and taste bit salty. And we can include in as our cheat diet. But we must eat breakfast like a king .

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s does taste like popcorn. I find it wayyyyyytoo sweet but will drink it occasionally 🙂
    It makes a change from milk and oat milk.

    ReplyDelete